Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dope Songs of 2011


I'm not big on mid year ish, but i figured i should prolly collect my thoughts on whats been dope so far this year.

Adele - Rolling in the Deep (Jamie XX Remix)
Huge tune, not much more to say. Funky with the hand claps, soulful on the vocal, heavy on the bass. BIG!

Frank Ocean - Songs for Women
Could have easily picked another Frank Ocean song, but this ones been favorite. R&B with personality.

Tyler, The Creator - Yonkers
Self explanatory really. Regardless of your opinion on Odd Future and Tyler, this song is a serious achievement. Love it.

Cut Copy - Need You Now
Could have easily picked Take Me Over or Pharaohs and Pyramids instead. This is a band that's on top of its game and is probably the best Australian band right now. Too fucking good.

The Weeknd - The Party
Wow Frank Ocean AND the Weeknd. God I'm such a fucking hipster/cultural tourist. But fuck it, its what I've been listening to and geeking out over too. Probably should go back and listen too more Beach House I guess, but its a masterful sample flip. It has me doing my shitty falsetto singing along in the car. Which is horrible. And given how often I was playing it, far too often...

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
I wrote about it the other day, read it again i guess. Alex Turner conjurs up esoteric and wildly clever imagery with the best of them (Matt Berninger and Ghostface Killah)

TV on the Radio - Second Song
This probably should have gone to Killer Crane, but the moment that the guitar and drums come in gives me chills every times. Very few other songs have given me this feeling this year.

Hercules & Love Affair - Painted Eyes (In Flagranti Remix)
Sounds like if The Avalanches made super funky disco. A must have.

Tune-Yards - Gangsta
Sounds like if Dirty Projectors started hanging out with Ratatat. Seriously fun song, seriously cool album. I refuse to the do the capitalization.

Pusha T - Raid
Mixtape is hit and miss. This song is one of the hits.

Cassie - Me & U (Brackles Remix)
This one always gets a spin when I'm DJing. Love it to bits.

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (Rocco Raimundo Edit)
Yeah this is from last year, but I really only appreciated it this year. 9 minutes of pure bliss. Soundtracked most of my hungover drives home.

No comments:

Post a Comment