Friday, December 3, 2010

Best.Of.2010 Honorable Mention - Lisbon


This one surprised me. Usually I don’t like The Walkmen. Apart from the blistering ball of awesome rage that is The Rat, I’ve always found them kind of boring and their lead singer annoying. Perhaps this record just found me at the right time.

I’ve been trying to work out what it is exactly about this record that makes me like it so much. Here are the top contenders so far:
  • It’s Little Joy’s belligerent, drunken cousin.
  • It’s like waking up on a beach at sunrise with a wicked hangover yet having the most beautiful view in the world.
  • It’s a well-made and refreshing guitar pop album at a time when I’d been listening to nothing but hip-hop.
  • Its got this strange blend of restlessness and contentment and maybe that contradiction is what makes it so engaging.
  • Hamilton Leithauser finally chilled the fuck out
So if any of those things appeal to you, then maybe, just maybe, Lisbon is the album for you.

The Walkmen - Stranded

No comments:

Post a Comment