Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Streets - Trust Me


A Grand Don't Come For Free is one of two of my favorite albums of all time.* Despite its depressing content and stuttering sonics, its like a big warm musical hug to me. It's something I can come back to time and time again and get lost in, follow the story and detail, and find solace in at the very end. I could go on for pages about how amazing this album is (I might just one day), but just suffice to say I'm a fan of Mike Skinner.

However following this album, Skinner moved on from his storytelling and instead concerned himself with other things, namely celebrity and parables. While not unworthy pursuits and a seemingly natural progression from the broad picture of Original Pirate Material and the in depth focus of AGDCFF, unfortunately neither had the same level of quality of the first two classics. Yet they still had some good songs on them (Prangin Out, The Escapist, ect...)

However it appears that the local city poet has once again emerged, with this video for a track he released online last year (with a little bit of extra production by the sounds of it). The track is an excellent one and is reminiscent of his Original Pirate Material days but clearly showing the development and experience of the years since then.

I'm really excited for any new Streets material. With all the new musical developments in the bass and garage realm over the past few years, I'm really curious to see if Skinner incorporates them into his new album and if so, how. These are exciting times, and I can't wait to see how The Streets chooses to tell us about them.

The Streets - Trust Me

The Streets Twitter - seems like its fairly constantly updated with new stuff now

*The other one is The Avalanches "Since I Left You". Despite the fact they're so different, they both provide a world I can get lost in and find new things in each time. Couldn't choose between them if you held a gun to my head, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment